Hi, I'm Rachelle
The Vivacious Gourmet
I cook delicious healthy recipes that are simple to make, with wholesome fresh ingredients.
follow me on social
This is one of my favourite Thanksgiving desserts. The apples are especially perfect in the autumn season. The leftovers make an even better breakfast! Simple, delicious and did I mention gluten free? The topping is a crispy and sweet, that pairs exceptionally well with the apples. I love using Empire or Fiji apples as they are crisp, juicy and have the best crunch. It is best served with some vanilla ice cream. Hope you share it with some loved ones this holiday.
Warm Apple Crisp
- 10 local apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or white sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour gluten free flour
- 2 cups gluten free oats
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour gluten free flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup butter – room temperature and cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut apples into thin slices and add to a medium sized bowl.
- Combine coconut sugar and flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, sea salt, lemon juice mix together. Add to sliced apples.
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Place apple mixture in baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, prepare your topping. Mix together rolled oats, flour, baking soda, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and butter mixture.
- Add crumble on top of the apples and put into the oven covered with tin foil. Add small holes for steam. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove tin foil and bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes or until topping is lightly golden brown. Careful not to burn.
- Serve in bowls while still warm. Top with your favourite vanilla ice cream on top. Enjoy!