Hi, I'm Rachelle
The Vivacious Gourmet
I cook delicious healthy recipes that are simple to make, with wholesome fresh ingredients.
follow me on social
Turn up the beets! Beet Hummus is such a winner in my books. I just love how bright and colourful it is. This recipe reminds me that spring is here. It is also gluten free, dairy free, and vegan. You can pair this with your favourite vegetables or put on toast, gluten free crackers for a tasty treat.
This is a great high protein recipe to make. You can mix it up and use all different kinds of beans to make hummus. You can use white beans, edamame you name it. This was one of the first recipes I learned how to make growing up and still to this day I crave it all the time. I promise its pretty easy to do and I am sure it will be on weekly rotations at your house. So much better and fresher than store bought.
- 3 small beets
- 1 can chickpeas drained and washed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 whole garlic bulb about 12 cloves
- 1 medium lemon juiced approx. 4 tbsp lemon juiced
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 3-4 tbsp cold water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Open can of chickpeas, drain and rinse chickpeas and then set in a large bowl of cold water for soaking.
- Wash beets and cut off tops, place on large baking pan lined with foil or parchement paper.
- Cut off top layer of garlic bulb about 1/2 inch off top. Place on sheet of tin foil. Drizzle with 1tbsp olive oil and close package. Place on baking pan in oven.
- Roast beets and garlic for about 45 minutes or until beets are tender.
- Put chickpeas in a small pot with about 4 tbsp of water. Bring to boil for approx 10-15 minutes.
- Remove and drain any liquid from chickpeas and add to blender. Add in lemon juice, tahini, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. Blend together on pulse. Add cold water to create smooth texture.
- Once beets are cooked, remove skins and chop into smaller pieces. Add Remove garlic from foil and squeeze out the roasted garlic. Add garlic and beets to the blender and mix until smooth.
- Taste and adjust flavouring as needed. You can add more lemon juice or salt and pepper.
- Serve in a bowl, drizzle more olive oil on top. Serve with veggies, or crackers. Viola! Colourful Beet Hummus.