Hi, I'm Rachelle
The Vivacious Gourmet
I cook delicious healthy recipes that are simple to make, with wholesome fresh ingredients.
follow me on social
Fall is in the air. Time for cozy sweaters, and tall boots. That’s why I love soups so much. They remind me of a big warm hug on a cool day. This delightful soup is perfect for this time of year. It is bright, velvety and oh so smooth. I love the taste of the butternut squash with the sweetness of the apples. The ginger also helps to soothe any upset stomachs.
Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 large onion diced finely
- 2 leeks chopped white parts only
- 1 large potato
- 1 medium butternut squash diced small
- 1 apple peeled cored and diced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup cashew milk or other milk alternative
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp basil
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- Garnish option: chopped chives or green onions fresh basil, toasted pepitas or roasted pumpkin seeds.
- In a large pot melt butter, add in onions, leeks and cook until transparent for about 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, potatoes, apples, and squash. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes and squash are tender at a simmer approx. 10-15 minutes. Add in nutmeg, salt, pepper, basil and hot sauce.
- Remove from heat and blend together in a food processor in batches with lid open to let the steam escape.
- Return to pot and add in milk. Do not boil. Leave on low simmer.
- Add salt & pepper to taste. Serve hot. Option to add garnish on top, chopped chives, green onions, pumpkin seeds or pepitas. Enjoy!