Hi, I'm Rachelle
The Vivacious Gourmet
I cook delicious healthy recipes that are simple to make, with wholesome fresh ingredients.
follow me on social
There are some experiences in life that can bring you back to a certain memory. The sounds, smells, touch of something and it brings you back to a nostalgic place. This recipe reminds me of one of those places. I booked a last minute solo trip to Italy and immersed myself in the beauty of Rome and Calabria.
One of my favourite memories was learning to cook authentic Italian meals from a real Senora in her home. Her home overlooked the Tyrrhenian sea and she made the most delicious dishes I have ever had in my life.
She told me the best way to learn to cook Italian is not by the recipe themselves but the quality of the ingredients you put into it and lots of love. This is one of those recipes. Just add your favourite pasta. Buon appetito!
Classic Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup olive oil high quality Extra Virgin
- 15-20 medium Roma tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves smashed
- 8-10 large basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp dried aged ricotta Or Parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large deep saucepan.
- Add 4 smashed pieces of garlic (to open up the flavour)
- Sauté garlic for a few mins, careful not to burn.
- Add in fresh basil leaves.
- Cut Roma tomatoes in half, and add to pot.
- Leave uncovered, bring to a boil.
- Add in salt, pepper, oregano and hot pepper flakes.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes
- Boil your own choice of pasta, save 1/2 cup of the boiled pasta water.
- Add water to pasta sauce and stir. Helps to thicken the sauce.
- Add in a few more fresh basil leaves and mix through pasta sauce, add to pasta.
- Sprinkle cheese over pasta and serve immediately.