Hi, I'm Rachelle
The Vivacious Gourmet
I cook delicious healthy recipes that are simple to make, with wholesome fresh ingredients.
follow me on social
Bright, creamy Lemon Chicken and Wild Rice Stew. ‘Tis the spring season after all. With the weather being pretty unpredictable in Canada, this light and savoury stew is a sure way to keep you feeling cozy and truly comforted especially on those rainy days. Just like Mama used to make.
I’ve partnered with @floatingleaffoods to create this yummy recipe and the most flavourful broth for dipping your bread into! I love using their products because they are Non- GMO, plant based, and only use traceable & organic ingredients! You can buy direct online or check them out at your local grocery store. You can absolutely make this recipe vegan if you like too, just omit the chicken and use vegetable stock.
1. Wild rice is higher in protein than regular rice and contains several important antioxidants and nutrients.
2. Combining a food rich in plant based iron (like cooked spinach) with one that offers vitamin C, (such as lemon juice) can help your body absorb more of that incredible iron!
Lemon Chicken & Wild Rice Stew
- 2 tbsp olive oil or ghee
- 2 small onions diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 1/2 tsp fresh chopped rosemary
- 1/4 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup quinoa flour
- 2 medium boneless chicken breasts- approx 1 pound
- 6 cups chicken stock homemade works great
- 3/4 cup wild rice I love using @floatingleaffoods Jasmine Thai Trio Wild Rice
- 1 cup almond milk Any plant based will do.
- 2 cups spinach chopped
- 1 whole lemon cut into slices
- Melt ghee in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots and celery, garlic and saute for 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the quinoa flour and stir until it becomes thick in texture. Add in rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Next slowly pour in chicken stock, so that flour is combined and all lumps are out.
- Add in whole chicken breasts, and @FloatingLeafFoods Jasmine Thai Trio wild rice. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer for 35 minutes until chicken and rice is cooked.
- Remove chicken from pot. Shred the chicken with a fork and place back in pot on medium-low heat. Consistency should be thick. Add in the lemon slices and stir.
- Add in almond milk, and spinach. Cook for another 5-10 minutes until spinach is wilted. Taste and add in more salt and pepper as needed. Viola, serve warm with bread for dipping!