Hi, I'm Rachelle
The Vivacious Gourmet
I cook delicious healthy recipes that are simple to make, with wholesome fresh ingredients.
follow me on social
This is one of my favourite recipes to make and it was passed down from my Grandmother. I’ve taken out the cream and bacon to make it vegan but in all honestly I can’t even taste a difference or lack of creaminess. This is perfect soup for spring as the colours are so bright and remind you of the beautiful sunshine. So grab a bowl of this delicious goodness. It will make your body feel good from the inside out.
Creamy Carrot and Leek Soup
- 2 tbsp butter or ghee
- 2 leeks white part only sliced thinly
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 10-12 medium carrots sliced thinly
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- ½ cup brown rice
- 8 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp parsley or oregano finely chopped
- 1 tsp pumpkin seeds toasted
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Cook leeks and onion until softened. (3-5 minutes)
- Put in the carrots, garlic, salt, pepper, honey, bay leaf, and vegetable broth to the pot. Stir and simmer about 20 minutes. Add in brown rice. Simmer another 20 minutes, or until rice is fully cooked.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Add soup to a blender. Mix until smooth consistency.
- Garnish with parsley or pumpkin seeds.
- Serve warm with your favourite crusty bread.
- Remaining portions can also be stored in the freezer for 2 months