Hi, I'm Rachelle
The Vivacious Gourmet
I cook delicious healthy recipes that are simple to make, with wholesome fresh ingredients.
follow me on social
You need to try my delicious crispy Zucchini and Corn Fritters!
This is a perfect appetizer or snack and are completely gluten free and vegetarian. 🌽
This recipe is super simple to make and savoury! The perfect way to use up all the beautiful summer harvest. I love the combination of the zucchini and sweet Ontario corn. So if you have a lot of these vegetables that look like they may be spoiling soon; this is a great recipe to make and stretch your dollar further.
If using frozen corn be sure to defrost it first. Frozen veggies tend to release extra water when they defrost and can throw off the balance of a recipe. So before adding frozen corn to the fritter batter, thaw it out and pour the extra liquid down the drain.
You can also add in any type of flours to the recipe. I like to use brown rice flour as it is gluten free. Also feel free to switch up the cheese depending on what flavours you like. DO what makes your heart happy.
Fresh or Frozen Corn
Eggs– preferably organic
Brown Rice Flour– or any gluten free flour will do
Cheddar Cheese- I love the taste of Old Cheddar (more bold!) ( You can also omit this if you are vegan)
Garlic Cloves- Fresh is best
Red Pepper Flakes (optional: for extra spice)
Grapeseed Oil for frying- or olive oil works as well.
Zucchini & Corn Fritters
- 2 cups zucchini grated
- 1 cup of corn
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup old cheddar cheese omit of vegan
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp green onions chopped finely
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes optional for extra spice
- 1 tbsp Grapeseed oil for frying
- Start by grating the zucchini and transfer it to a bowl with a clean kitchen towel. Season with a tsp of salt and let stand for 10-15 minutes. Press down to remove as much liquid as possible. Repeat until all excess water is removed
- In a large bowl, mix together zucchini, corn, eggs, flour, cheese, garlic, paprika, cumin, s & p. Stir until combined.
- Heat some grapeseed oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add about 1 tbsp of batter to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes until crispy and golden brown around the edges. Flip over and cook for additional 4-5 minutes.
- Cook fritters in batches and set aside on plate lined with paper towel to absorb any extra oil.
- Serve warm with more green onions, flaked sea salt and your favourite dipping sauce. I love fresh dill dip. Eat and Enjoy.
Tips for the perfect Zucchini & Corn Fritters:
- Make sure you squeeze out excess liquid from the zucchini – there’s more water than you might think, and if left in the fritters will be very soft and won’t crisp up.
- Once you spoon mixture into the pan, press the fritters with the back of a spatula to help the mixture hold together well.
- Don’t be tempted to turn them too soon – wait until you can see a little browning underneath, they will flip more easily if browned enough