Hi, I'm Rachelle
The Vivacious Gourmet
I cook delicious healthy recipes that are simple to make, with wholesome fresh ingredients.
follow me on social
This savory and scrumptious Shakshuka is the ultimate breakfast fix! Typically a middle eastern dish with poached eggs and hearty tomato sauce. The best news is that is made all in one pan and zero fuss or mess!
Serve with crusty bread for dipping the amazing sauce. It also makes for great leftovers.
Easy Breakfast Shakshuka
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper core removed, de-seeded and diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 can diced tomatoes large
- 5-6 eggs
- 3/4 cup feta cheese
- 2 jalapenos sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp chives finely chopped
- Heat oil in a large span over medium heat. Add onions, pepper and garlic uncovered for about 7-8 minutes until softened.
- Next add the spices! Add cumin, paprika, turmeric, salt and pepper. Add tomatoes and bring sauce to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the sauce thickens. Approx.10-12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and create wells in the sauce. Carefully crack eggs into each well or indentation. sauce. Cover the whites of eggs with a bit of sauce to help it cook better. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place back over medium heat and cover and let the eggs cook for about 5-7minutes. Or until the egg whites are no longer translucent. (depending on how you like your egg yolks cooked, I like my cooked hard)
- Remove skillet from heat, uncover and let sit for a 1-2 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with feta cheese, jalapeno’s chives, and flaky salt.
- Enjoy with crusty bread for dipping