Hi, I'm Rachelle
The Vivacious Gourmet
I cook delicious healthy recipes that are simple to make, with wholesome fresh ingredients.
follow me on social
I always thought that Pesto was a fancy complicated green sauce but I never realized how incredibly easy it is to make. I love the aromas from a classic pesto sauce, fresh basil, garlic, olive oil and cheese make for a delightfully fresh dish! For this sauce it is best to use a food processor for this recipe, but blenders will also do that trick. If you want leftovers, double the recipes and store in the freezer for later use. This recipe is so quick you can have it ready in under 10 minutes!
Garlicky Homemade Pesto
- 2-3 cloves garlic depending on how garlicky you like it, you can always add one more!
- 2 cups basil leaves stems removed, chopped
- 1/3 cup pecans or pine nuts I like pecans as they are less expensive and easier to find
- 1/2-1 whole lemon juiced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Mix garlic, basil, pecans, lemon, salt and pepper in food processor.
- Add in remaining ingredients, olive oil and parmesan cheese until thoroughly blended. )
- Taste at end and adjust flavor as needed. You can always add in more salt, pepper or cheese or olive oil to thin it out.
- Store in mason jars in fridge for up to one week.
- I love making this fresh pesto with pasta.
- Cook pasta to directions and leave al dente and reserve ½- 1 cup of pasta water.
- Drain pasta, add in pesto sauce and mix. If sauce is too thick add in little bit of the pasta water to create creamy texture. Eat and enjoy!!
- If sauce is too thick add in little bit of the pasta water to create creamy texture. Eat and enjoy!!
**Vegan Option: Substitute 1-2 tbsp of nutritional yeast instead of parmesan cheese!
Leave a Comment