Chicken Pot Pies were one of my favourite dishes growing up. They are incredibly hearty and comforting. Although most other pies contain enormous amount of sodium and are high in fat and calories, my Healthy Chicken Pot Pie recipe does not! By eliminating the bottom crust and just leaving a delicious flaky crust on top saves tons of calories (and your waistline!) I also swapped out the milk and cream for oat & coconut milk, making this a dairy free option. Trust me this dish is a sure family favourite, nourishing your bellies and soul!
2 tbsp Olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 red pepper, chopped
2 cups cooked chicken shredded (you can use a store bought rotisserie chicken)
¼ cup gluten free flour (rice, flour, tapioca flour)
2 cups chicken broth, warmed
1 cup oat milk (almond or cashew milk works well)
½ cup whole fat coconut milk (in can)
1 cup frozen peas
1 tsp fresh thyme
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 sheet puff pastry, defrosted
Optional: 2 egg whites lightly beaten for crust.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- On the stovetop, heat the olive oil in a medium pot and add onions. Cook until translucent.
- Add the carrots, celery red pepper and garlic. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- In another bowl add chicken and flour together. Add chicken to pot. Slowly add in warmed chicken broth. Whisk to avoid clumping the flour.
- Add in thyme, paprika, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Mix well
- Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes. Add the oat milk and coconut milk to the pot. Simmer for another 5-10 minutes until sauce is thickened.
- Once sauce is thickened add to an 8 x 10 baking dish. Roll out the pastry on top of dish and pinch the edges. Trim any excess off the edges.
- Option to brush the tops of puff pastry with egg whites. Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into pieces and Enjoy. Serves 6 people.