Hi, I'm Rachelle
The Vivacious Gourmet
I cook delicious healthy recipes that are simple to make, with wholesome fresh ingredients.
follow me on social
Chicken Pot Pies were one of my favourite dishes growing up. They are incredibly hearty and comforting. Although most other pies contain enormous amount of sodium and are high in fat and calories, my Healthy Chicken Pot Pie recipe does not! By eliminating the bottom crust and just leaving a delicious flaky crust on top saves tons of calories (and your waistline!) I also swapped out the milk and cream for oat & coconut milk, making this a dairy free option. Trust me this dish is a sure family favourite, nourishing your bellies and soul!
Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded can use a store bought rotisserie chicken
- ¼ cup gluten free flour rice, flour, tapioca flour
- 2 cups chicken broth warmed
- 1 cup plant based milk almond or cashew milk works well
- ½ cup whole fat coconut milk in can
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp red chili flakes
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 sheet puff pastry defrosted
- 2 egg whites only lightly beaten for crust
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- On the stovetop, heat the olive oil in a medium pot and add onions. Cook until translucent.
- Add the carrots, celery red pepper and garlic. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, add chicken and flour together. Add chicken to pot. Slowly add in warmed chicken broth. Whisk to avoid clumping the flour.
- Add in thyme, paprika, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Mix well
- Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes. Add the oat milk and canned coconut milk to the pot. Simmer for another 5-10 minutes until sauce is thickened.
- Once sauce is thickened add to an 8 x 10 baking dish. Roll out the pastry on top of dish and pinch the edges. Trim any excess off the edges.
- Option to brush the tops of puff pastry with egg whites. Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into pieces and Enjoy.