Hi, I'm Rachelle
The Vivacious Gourmet
I cook delicious healthy recipes that are simple to make, with wholesome fresh ingredients.
follow me on social
You can’t help but fall in love with my Hearty Turkey Chili. What I love most about this dish is that is only takes one pot to make and you can make it as spicy as you like. It is packed with nutritious ingredients including red & yellow peppers, black beans, zucchini, carrots, jalapenos, onion, garlic and tomatoes. You can also have the option to make it vegan or vegetarian depending on what you like, just omit the meat and cheese! Its a perfect way to warm yourself up on a cold stormy day or to watch the big game on the weekends!
Hearty Turkey Chili
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
- 1 red pepper stems and seeds removed, medium diced
- 1 yellow pepper stems and seeds removed, medium diced
- 1 zucchini medium diced
- 1 jalapeno chopped finely
- 1 black beans can, drained and rinsed
- 1 large crushed tomatoes can
- 1 cup vegetable broth or chicken stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp favourite hot sauce to make extra spicy
- 2 tbsp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tsp chives finely chopped
- Ina large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add in turkey and cook thoroughly for 10 minutes.
- Remove turkey from stovetop and set aside. Add in onions, garlic, carrots, celery to pot until softened. About 5-10 minutes.
- Add in all the spices; chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper.
- Add peppers, zucchini, jalapenos, crushed tomatoes, black beans, veggie broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer on low for 40 minutes.
- Taste and see if more salt, pepper or hot sauce is needed.
- Serve into bowls. Eat and enjoy!
- Optional toppings: sour cream, cheddar cheese, chives or tortilla chips for topping.