Hi, I'm Rachelle
The Vivacious Gourmet
I cook delicious healthy recipes that are simple to make, with wholesome fresh ingredients.
follow me on social
Warm savoury jalapeno cheddar corn bread muffins, perfect for dipping into a robust bowl of hot chili.
A favourite childhood memory of mine and one that your whole family will love.
My dad used to make this incredible homemade chili and he would pair it with warm, savoury corn bread. I loved dipping the corn bread into my chili and the combination of the cheddar and jalapeno’s with the warm robust chili flavour is an absolute win in my books!
They are incredible easy to make, and require little ingredients. You can change the flour to gluten free and works just as good. I find sharp old cheddar works the best and it creates a stronger taste. To make it not as spicy, remove the jalapeno’ seeds. For extra spice, leave them in your batter. I hope you love this recipe as much as we do!
- All Purpose Flour: you can swap for Gluten Free One to One flour, I love using Bob’s Red Mill .
- Baking Powder:
- Baking Soda
- Ground Cornmeal:
- Sugar: You can swap for some maple syrup or honey for a natural flavour
- Salt: I prefer Himalayan salt as it contains lots of minerals
- Butter: You can swap for olive oil, if you want to keep vegan
- Eggs: I like to buy Organic or local fresh farmed eggs
- Cream: Half and Half cream works well, but you can substitute with almond or oat milk
- Cheddar Cheese: Sharp cheddar cheese tastes best but you can use what you have on hand
- Corn Kernels: Fresh, frozen or canned all work well. If using frozen, let is defrost on the counter for 5-10 minutes before adding to the batter.
- Green Onions: If you are out of green onions, add chopped chives
- Jalapenos: Make sure to remove the seeds if you do not want the muffins to be too spicy
A must-have side dish for the holidays and this cornbread is a crowd-pleaser! It can also be made ahead of time and simply reheat when ready to be served. Lather on lots of butter and enjoy!
Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread Muffins
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup finely ground cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup butter melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup cream or milk alternative
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 3/4 cup corn kernels fresh or canned
- 2 green onions chopped
- 2 jalapeños 1 chopped and 1 sliced for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray muffin tin with oil.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cornmeal, sugar, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine butter, cream & egg. Add dry mixture to wet mixture. Do not over mix.
- Gently fold in corn, green onions, chopped jalapeño & cheese. Fill muffin tins and top each muffin with a jalapeño slice.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes back clean.
- Serve warm with a bowl of chili. Eat and enjoy!