People who know me well, know that this is my absolute favourite salad in the whole world. As a kid I ate this for a full 2 weeks straight. The key to a great Kale Ceasar salad is the way you prepare the lettuce. It is best to marinate the kale in olive oil and give it a little massage. This makes it not only easier to digest but ensures the dressing will adhere to the kale better and isn’t a tough texture. Do this prior to preparing the dressing and the croutons for maximum flavour. I’m warning you though… you may want to eat it every day too!
¼ cup white wine vinegar
¼ cup lemon juice
½ tsp salt
Freshly ground pepper
½ tsp of maple syrup
1 egg yolk
½ Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
2 garlic clove (crushed)
¾ cup olive oil
¼ cup of parmesan cheese or ½ cup (add until creamy consistency)
2 cups chopped French or Italian bread ** Gluten-free option available
¼ cup unsalted butter
1 bunch of kale, washed and chopped, oiled and massaged.
Gluten- Free Option: Instead of croutons you can add some roasted chick peas to make it gluten-free. Take one can of chick peas rinsed and dried, add 1 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tsp of salt and spread on a baking sheet. Bake at 400 degree for 45 minutes until crisp.
- In a food processor, add the white wine vinegar, lemon juice, salt, pepper and maple syrup blend well.
- Add in egg yolk, and Worcestershire sauce, blend well.
- Add in olive oil at one time to the bowl and blend. Next add cheese and blend until creamy consistency.
- Toss the cubed croutons in a frying pan with ¼ cup of unsalted butter, 1 clove of garlic crushed and a couple tsp of olive oil. When all the croutons have been well coated toss over moderate heat and brown.
- Remove from pan and brown in a 350 degree oven for an additional 5 mins.
- Add half of dressing to kale with croutons until thoroughly coated. And Enjoy!
**Remaining salad dressing can be stored in the fridge for 4 days**