Hi, I'm Rachelle
The Vivacious Gourmet
I cook delicious healthy recipes that are simple to make, with wholesome fresh ingredients.
follow me on social
Looking for a light sweet treat this summer? I have an amazing classic recipe that can brighten anyone’s day and looks like a little ray of sunshine. Our Lemon Meringue Pie is packed with a creamy tart lemon flavour. Trust me, your family will be thoroughly impressed. This recipe has been passed down from my grandmother and I hope you like it as much as we do. The topping tastes like soft clouds of goodness.
Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. water
- 3 Egg yolks
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest grated
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 ½ cups water
- 4 egg whites room temperature
- 4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp. icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 475 Degrees F.
- Mix flour, coconut sugar, and salt together.
- Mix in shortening and flour mixture together in a food processor. Make sure the batter is mixed thoroughly together.
- Add in water and lemon juice into dough. Roll into a ball and set in fridge to chill for 2 hours.
- Sprinkle flour on table surface. Remove dough from fridge and roll out onto table with rolling pin.
- Dust 9” pie pan with flour and place over pan removing any access dough. Prick bottom with fork. Bake dough in oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside on counter.
- In a bowl mix together sugar and cornstarch. In a separate bowl beat the egg yolks and set aside.
- Place sugar mixture in saucepan over medium heat until mixture thickens. Bring to a boil for 1 minute.
- Next stir in eggs yolks and bring to a boil. Add in remaining ingredients, water, lemon zest and juice and butter. Mix thoroughly. Stir and pour into cooled pie crust.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites, and cream of tartar until foamy consistency. Slowly add in both sugars until mixture becomes stiff. Lastly beat in vanilla. Spoon topping onto hot pie filling.
- Reduce heat of oven to 400 degrees and bake until topping is light brown for bout 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool in fridge until ready to serve
- Garnish with candied lemon peel or zest and Enjoy!