Hi, I'm Rachelle
The Vivacious Gourmet
I cook delicious healthy recipes that are simple to make, with wholesome fresh ingredients.
follow me on social
This classic Spanish dish wins over any crowd! This is my Vegetable Paella. It is packed with tons of vegetables and is so rich in flavour. People will think you were in the kitchen preparing all day but this recipe is really so easy to make. You have the option to add in shrimp or chicken to add in more protein. The Arborio rice is perfect to absorb large amounts of broth and leaves a little more crunchy texture to the dish. Saffron is also an incredible ingredient that is full of antioxidants and can protect your body from free radical damage.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp saffron threads
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper sliced thinly
- 1 yellow pepper sliced thinly
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 cup baby artichokes drained and quartered
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 3 cups vegetable stock or chicken
- 2 cups swiss chard
- 1 cup tomatoes diced from can, drained
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup frozen peas or shelled fresh peas
- 15 shrimps peeled and deveined
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- 1 whole lemon cut into wedges
- In a medium pot, heat water to a boil. Add saffron, cover and remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high add olive oil. Add bell peppers and onion and sauté for about 8 minutes or until onion is translucent . Add artichokes, garlic and sauté 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- Add rice and stir to coat with oil. Cook for about 5 mins.
- Add vegetable stock, swiss chard, tomatoes and bring to boil, stirring frequently.
- Add saffron water, paprika and salt. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Mix peas into rice, cover and continue cooking mixture until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Add in shrimp into mixture. Let stand 5 minutes, add lemon wedges around outside and garnish with chopped parsley. And Enjoy!
Optional Add in Shrimps
- Heat 1 tbsp butter and 1 garlic clove minced in a medium sized pan for 2 minutes. Add in 15 shrimps. Cook until thoroughly pink and you see no more grey bits. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
Leave a Comment