Hi, I'm Rachelle
The Vivacious Gourmet
I cook delicious healthy recipes that are simple to make, with wholesome fresh ingredients.
follow me on social
I hope you are all enjoying this lovely autumn weather with people you love. This dish is sure winner in my books. Beautifully Roasted Heirloom Carrots with Garlic Hummus topped with crispy chickpeas & pistachios and drizzled za’atar oil. OMG I have never seen such an incredible marriage of ingredients together. This is such a perfect side dish to any meal, especially Thanksgiving! Did I mention that this recipe is completely vegan and gluten free? I think I can get behind that! Hope you enjoy as much as I do.
Roasted Heirloom Carrots with Garlic Hummus
- 2 bunches of small heirloom carrots washed and trimmed, cut lengthways
- ½ cup pistachios roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp za’atar spice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp of red chili flakes
- Optional: 1 tbsp chopped parsley for presentation
- 1 can chickpeas *Save about ½ cup of chickpeas and set aside. washed and rinsed, soaked in cold water for few hours before and skins removed. This makes it easier for digestion.
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 lemon juiced
- ½ cup EVOO olive oil
- 1/3 cup tahini
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2-3 tsp of salt
- In a medium saucepan, cook chickpeas in ½ cup of water over medium heat for about 15-20 minutes. Chickpeas will become less hard and mushy.
- Remove from heat. Add in all remaining ingredients to a food processor and mix well.
- If too thick, add in little bits of water. Taste and adjust flavour with more salt.
- Put in fridge to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place washed and trimmed carrots on baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil, thyme, salt, and pepper. Place carrots in oven for 20 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- On separate baking sheet, add ½ cup chickpeas. Drizzle with olive oil, salt & pepper. Place in top rack of oven for 20-25 minutes or until chickpeas are crunchy.
- Remove carrots from oven. Arrange hummus on plate. Place carrots on top of hummus.
- Sprinkle chopped pistachios & crispy chickpeas.
- Whisk together 1 tbsp olive oil, za’atar spice, salt, pepper, red chili flakes in a bowl. Drizzle over the carrots and hummus. Sprinkle chopped parsley on top. Viola, eat and enjoy!