Homemade Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup with Pesto! #familyapproved
This soup has been all over the internet lately so I decided to give it a try. And let me tell you, it will blow you away! It is so incredibly creamy but contains no dairy at all.
To create this amazing depth of flavour for this soup, roast the tomatoes, garlic and caramelize the onions. This recipe is very easy to make, and I guarantee you will never buy a store packaged can of Tomato soup ever again. But really what is in that stuff anyway?!
What is your favourite soup? Let me know yours and I can create a ‘healthier’ version for you. I mean it is a new year, so let’s start feeling good in our bodies!
12 medium sized Roma tomatoes
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 whole head of garlic, skins removed
1 red pepper
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup fresh basil
1/4 cup coconut milk (or sour cream works)
Garnish: fresh basil and pesto
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper, add quartered tomatoes, garlic, and red pepper, 1 tbsp olive oil and salt.
2. Roast in oven for 40-45 minutes.
3. In a large pot over medium heat, add 1 tbsp. olive oil and chopped onions. Sauté onions for approx. 10-15 minutes until caramelized, careful not to burn. Should be golden in colour.
4. After tomatoes and garlic are done roasting, remove from oven and transfer to pot. Add in onions, vegetable stock, oregano, salt and pepper. Simmer for another 5-7 minutes. Option to add in coconut milk to make creamier. Add fresh basil.
5. Transfer to blender and mix well.
6. Return to pot and simmer for another 5-10 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil and pesto. Serve hot with your favourite crusty bread or grilled cheese sandwich. Enjoy!