Hi, I'm Rachelle
The Vivacious Gourmet
I cook delicious healthy recipes that are simple to make, with wholesome fresh ingredients.
follow me on social
This recipe is perfectly seasoned, made with spicy Italian pork sausage, orzo pasta, and lots of fresh vegetables. It is super comforting after a long week and super easy to make! You can omit the sausage if you want to keep vegetarian. I like using spicy sausage as it gives the soup a little more kick. Mild sausages work just as well.
This recipe also contains no dairy. You can make gluten free and switch the pasta.
You will get plenty of rich and meaty, flavour in every spoonful! You can also freeze this soup for and eat at a later date. It is super TASTY!
Spicy Italian Sausage & Orzo Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or butter
- 1 LB spicy Italian sausage mild or medium if preferred
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup celery diced small (3 ribs)
- 1 medium bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 3 cloves garlic minced garlic
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/ cups tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (mixture of thyme oregano, basil
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry orzo pasta
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp each salt and black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Remove pork sausages from casings and add into pot.
- Let brown on bottom about 3 minutes, then turn and break up sausage and cook until no longer pink for about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Leave rendered fat in pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, celery and bell pepper, tomatoes and saute until starting to soften, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and saute fpr another 3-5 minutes.
- Pour in broth, tomato sauce, and add Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes salt and pepper. Return sausage to pot.
- Bring to a simmer for 10 minutes with lid closed. Add in orzo and stir. Cover again and let simmer for another 10 minutes or until the orzo is al dente. Stir in fresh basil. Serve warm Eat and enjoy!