Hi, I'm Rachelle
The Vivacious Gourmet
I cook delicious healthy recipes that are simple to make, with wholesome fresh ingredients.
follow me on social
Say Hello to my Spring Pea and Asparagus Risotto. This dish is incredibly fresh, creamy and rich. The asparagus and peas add a lighter vegetarian option for Spring. Believe me, you will not even miss the meat in this recipe.
What I love about this recipe is that it uses seasonal ingredients. Asparagus season is in full swing in Ontario, and it is just bursting with flavour! So go and get yours today and help support our local farmers.
You can make risotto out of any ingredients you want. Some other recipes include mushrooms, beets, seafood, herbs and lemon. It may seem like a fancy hard dish to execute but I am telling you this is easier than you think! Pair it with your favourite glass of white wine. My personal local favourite is @angelsgatewines
Spring Pea & Asparagus Risotto
- 4-5 cups chicken stock
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup white onion finely diced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 10 spears asparagus cut into 1″ lengths
- 1 cup frozen peas or fresh
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Bring stock to a boil in a medium saucepan; then turn off heat.
- Melt butter over medium heat in another medium saucepan. Add onion and cook stirring constantly, until translucent Approx. 6 to 7 minutes. Add rice; cook, stirring constantly, until edges of grains are translucent. 3-4 minutes. Raise the heat to medium-high.
- Add wine; cook, stirring constantly, until wine has completely evaporated.
- Add 1/2 cup stock, stirring constantly until it is all absorbed. Continue adding 1/2 cup of stock up to 3 cups.
- Stir in asparagus, add 1/2 cup stock. Cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Taste to see if Arborio rice is cooked through. Add more stock if rice is not cooked through.
- Stir in peas and cook for another two minutes.
- Risotto is done when liquid looks creamy. Remove from heat. Mix in lemon juice & parmesan. Check seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.
We had so much fun Making this recipe as a company with Rachelle keeping us all in line and engaged via zoom.
It was so easy to make and prep as well as to clean after, but most importantly it was Delicious!!!! 🙂
Thank you Walder for your kind words and leaving a review on my blog! I had so much fun hosting your company and creating such a fun dish together. Looking forward to many more in the future!
Cheers, Rachelle- The Vivacious Gourmet