Hi, I'm Rachelle
The Vivacious Gourmet
I cook delicious healthy recipes that are simple to make, with wholesome fresh ingredients.
follow me on social
Taco Zucchini Boats that will blow your socks off!
This super easy recipe is just in time for Cinco De Mayo. Enjoy your tacos without any of the guilt. These are completely gluten free and super filling. I love using zucchini’s in place of carbs. When used as the base for zucchini boats, it provides a delicious and nutritious alternative to higher-carb options like tortillas. Zucchini’s are amazing at taking on any flavours that you want and form the perfect little boat for you to stuff with whatever you like!
You only need a few ingredients to get started. Taco Zucchini Boats make for great leftovers or meal prep for your week. I love adding lots of spice to my taco’s. One of my favourite is Don Chilio Chili Crisp Oils. You can literally put that stuff on anything. You can find them HERE.
You only need a few ingredients to get started:
Zucchini’s– medium sized is best to stuff the boats.
Shallots or Small Onion
Extra Lean Ground Beef– I like to use a lean ground beef to reduce the amount of fat. If you want to change things up you can mix half ground beef and half Italian sausage, or use ground turkey or ground chicken.
Chili Powder– You can use taco seasoning in place, but I find mixing these spices make the best seasoning without any of the chemicals from a pre seasoned package.
Medium or Hot Salsa- depending on how spicy you like it
Cheddar Cheese– Sharp cheddar cheese always has the best flavour but you can also use Monterey Jack Cheese.
- Garnish Optional: Sour Cream, Jalapeños, Fresh Cilantro,
Taco Zucchini Boats
- 2 large zucchini’s
- 1 shallot or small onion diced
- 1/2 lb of extra lean ground beef
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 cup medium salsa
- 1/2 cup mozzarella
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- Garnish: sour cream jalapeños, fresh cilantro, cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut your zucchini’s lengthwise in half and scoop out the middle. Set aside.
- In a pan over medium heat add in olive oil and cook your beef until brown, around 5-6 mins.
- Add in shallots, chili powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, & pepper. Cook for another 5-6 minutes.
- Add in your salsa & cook for two minutes.
- Take beef mixture and fill your zucchini’s. Top with mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
- Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
- Place your toppings on zucchini’s. Add sour cream, jalapeños, salsa, cilantro & @don_chilio Serrano Hot Chili Oil. Eat and enjoy!