Hi, I'm Rachelle
The Vivacious Gourmet
I cook delicious healthy recipes that are simple to make, with wholesome fresh ingredients.
follow me on social
This soup is just bursting with amazing flavours! This is traditionally called tom kha which is a classic Thai dish. It’s perfect for this time of the year and can make you feel good from the inside out. It’s super cozy with warm, sweet-spicy flavours, so you can curl up and stay feeling great all winter long. You can make this vegan and plant based, if you want and just omit the fish sauce. This recipe is gluten free, grain free and paleo friendly. This recipe can be made in under 30 minutes and great for any day of the week. I hope you like it as much as I do!
Thai Coconut Soup
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 2 inch piece of ginger peeled and cut into thin slices
- 3 stalks lemongrass ends trimmed, outer layer peeled
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup fresh shitake mushrooms sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup cremini mushrooms sliced thinly
- 1 red bell pepper sliced thinly
- 1 block of firm tofu cut into small cubes
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1-2 limes juiced and zested
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic chili sauce
- 1 tsp red chili oil for tasting
- Optional: serve with fresh rice & fresh lime wedges
- Heat the sesame oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger, and lemongrass. Sauté for 3-5 minutes don’t let the garlic burn.
- Add in tomato paste. Sauté red peppers and mushrooms. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add tofu and chicken broth. Simmer for another 10-15 minutes. Add in garlic chili sauce.
- Add coconut milk, fish sauce, brown sugar, lime juice and zest, and salt.
- Stir in the cilantro. Pull out the lemongrass chunks.
- Serve with rice and lots more cilantro. Add dash of chili oil on top.