Hi, I'm Rachelle
The Vivacious Gourmet
I cook delicious healthy recipes that are simple to make, with wholesome fresh ingredients.
follow me on social
One pan meals sure to satisfy any crowd. Meet my Wild Rice & Turkey Jambalaya!
This recipe is so incredibly easy to make! It is super flavourful and very filling because let’s be honest no one wants to cook more than they have to around the holidays. I’ve made this a healthier version by using wild rice and turkey sausages as they contain way less fat. You can use whatever leftovers you have as well from Thanksgiving or Christmas. Did I mention it is completely gluten free and dairy free?
You can also add in some fried shrimp to this dish if you wish to have some seafood. If you want to keep this vegetarian, simply use plant based sausages. There are so many different versions of this recipe but this is total comfort food, made easy and I promise your family is going love it just as much we do!
Turkey & Wild Rice Jambalaya
- 1 onion diced
- 2-4 Turkey sausages you can add in some shrimp too if you like
- 1 red pepper thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup wild rice I love using @floatingleaffoods Wild Rice Blend
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock chicken stock or water
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Optional garnish: Fresh diced green onions and jalapeños.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add in the sausages and cook for 7-8 minutes or until they are golden in colour. They do not have to be cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add in the onion and saute until softened. Add in your sliced peppers.
- Slice up your Turkey sausages into small circles. Place back in the pan.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, wild rice, and tomato sauce. Add in all your seasonings: garlic powder, smoked paprika, cajun seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Give it a quick stir and add more liquid if it starts to look dry.
- Simmer for another 15 minutes or until rice is tender. Garnish with fresh jalapeños and green onions.