Hi, I'm Rachelle
The Vivacious Gourmet
I cook delicious healthy recipes that are simple to make, with wholesome fresh ingredients.
follow me on social
I love a good lasagna but let’s be honestly after you eat it, it makes you want to take a nap! This recipe explodes with those same great flavours with just a quarter of the calories and no carb crash! These savoury and delicious Zucchini Roll Ups are completely gluten free. I’ve added in some ground turkey for added protein, but you have the option to make this dish vegetarian too. Super easy recipe & it can be made in under 45 mins. I love having this meal on my weekday rotations. You can also make ahead of time and just reheat in oven later. So you can focus on what really matters.
Zucchini Roll Up’s
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 pound turkey lean ground
- 1 15 oz container ricotta
- 1/2 cup parmesan freshly grated
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ tsp oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 ½ tsp Italian herbs
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp chili flakes crushed for a bit of heat
- 4 zucchini’s sliced thinly 1/8 “ thick
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup mozzarella shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan shredded
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a medium cast iron pan, add olive oil, onions and cook until translucent. Add in ground turkey and garlic. Cook until meat is cooked through approx. 7-8 minutes. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine ricotta, eggs, 1/2 cup Parmesan, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, Italian herbs, red pepper chili flakes, salt and pepper.
- Spread tomato sauce onto the bottom of a cast iron pan or a 9″-x-13” baking dish.
- Lay out your slices of zucchini’s. Place 1 tbsp ricotta mixture to the bottom on zucchini. Roll up and place with open end tucked to the side. Repeat until all the rolls fill up the dish.
- Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Bake uncovered in oven for 30 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Place under low broil for 5 minutes to melt cheese and give it a golden colour.
- Remove from oven. Garnish with fresh basil or parsley. Serve hot and enjoy!