Hi, I'm Rachelle
The Vivacious Gourmet
I cook delicious healthy recipes that are simple to make, with wholesome fresh ingredients.
follow me on social
Exercise? Oh I thought you said extra fries! Well lucky for you, my Baked Zucchini Fries are healthy and you won’t even feel guilty while eating them.
They are covered in gluten free bread crumbs ( or regular panko) and Parmesan for the perfect crisp! You can always leave the cheese out if you want to make these vegan. Just do what works for you.
I’ve paired it with my Basil lemon Aioli and you can’t help yourself coming back for more. This is the ultimate snack. Your kids will love this recipe and won’t even know they are eating healthy vegetables!
Baked Zucchini Fries
- 3-4 small zucchini cut into 1/2 inch sticks
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs gluten free
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese finely grated
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning (Basil or oregano works)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 large egg whites only
For the Lemon Basil Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place a parchment paper on a large baking sheet.
- Place sliced zucchini sticks on cutting board. Pat dry with paper towel.
- In a medium wide dish, combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- In a separate wide dish, whisk egg white until foamy.
- In groups of 5, add dried zucchini to egg white mixture. Remove from dish and coat with breadcrumbs mixture. Press the breadcrumbs onto the zucchini. I usually have one hand for the egg bowl and the other hand for the breadcrumbs so they do not stick to your hands. Continue process until all fries are coated.
- Arrange zucchini fries on the baking sheet. Make sure to keep the sticks from touching each other. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Keep an eye on them so they do not burn.
- While the fries are baking, make your dipping sauce.
- Whisk together Greek yogurt, fresh basil, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, garlic, hot sauce, salt and pepper.
- Remove fries from the oven and serve with the dipping sauce! YUM.
1. Dry your zucchini well with paper towel to absorb extra moisture. This will make sure the breading sticks.
2. Use whipped egg whites for the batter. Egg whites create a nice crispy texture and ensures the breading sticks to the zucchini’s.