Easter is here, and that usually means sugary candy and chocolate. Not this year! I have a nutritious sweet treat that doesn’t disappoint. May I present my Carrot Apple Muffins. They are full of fiber and have a nice sweetness naturally, perfect for breakfast or a snack. They contain carrots which are loaded with beta carotene and in turn is converted into Vitamin A that helps maintain healthy glowy skin. So eat up and feel good this spring!
2 cups flour
¾ cup coconut sugar (or other natural sugar alternative)
2 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
½ cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups grated carrots
1 cup apple, peeled and grated
½ cup thinly sliced apple for toppings
½ cup chopped walnuts for toppings
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line muffin cups with paper liners.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg together in a bowl.
- Beat eggs, vanilla and vegetable oil in another bowl. Pour liquid into flour bowl and mix well.
- Stir in apple, carrots and walnuts gently.
- Spoon batter into muffin paper cups to about 2/3 full. Add thinly sliced apples on top for presentation.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes. Dip a toothpick in the middle and if it comes out clean it’s done.
- Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack for 5 minutes before eating. Eat warm or cool. Happy Easter Everyone!