Hi, I'm Rachelle
The Vivacious Gourmet
I cook delicious healthy recipes that are simple to make, with wholesome fresh ingredients.
follow me on social
Hearty and healthy Kale and Sausage Soup. Spring is in the air and I could not be happier. I have been going for 2 hour hikes with my dog Ladybug and we are loving it. I see little flowers sprouting up, and the beautiful sunshine. We have so much to be thankful for. This recipe is a great springtime soup. It is also so easy to make and will stretch your dollar further as the ingredients are not expensive and usually have already stocked in your pantry.
Kale and Sausage Soup
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups kale leaves ribs removed and cut into 1/2 inch
- 2 cups potatoes peeled and cut into small cubes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 Italian sausages sweet or spicy
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp red chili flakes for extra spice
- 1 tsp chopped chives for garnish
- ,In a saucepan heat butter or olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes until lightly golden.
- Add in the kale, potatoes and broth. (I used my homemade chicken broth.)
- Bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are al dente.
- Add salt and pepper, red pepper flakes and red chili flakes.
- In a skillet over medium, brown the sausages on both sides in a tiny amount of olive oil. Do not cook all the way through. 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Slice the sausages and add to the soup.
- Cook for about 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and the sausage is thoroughly cooked. Serve warm.
Happy cooking and stay safe!