Hi, I'm Rachelle
The Vivacious Gourmet
I cook delicious healthy recipes that are simple to make, with wholesome fresh ingredients.
follow me on social
The most comforting Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie you’ve ever had!
This savoury warm and hearty comfort food is exactly what I crave after a long day at work. The best news is that it is actually really easy to make. This truly is a dish that you will make over and over again for your family! Most of the ingredients I bet you already have. But good news is that you can always make adjustments depending on what you have in your fridge. I like mixing it up with ground beef or Turkey,(depending if I want a leaner pie) carrots, onions, mushrooms, and tomato paste.
You can always make this dish ahead of time and store in your freezer. Having a pre-made meal ready for a quick and cozy evening at home.
Sweet Potato Shepherds Pie
- 4 sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces. (approx 6 cups)
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt & 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef alternative to use vegan plant based protein
- 3 cups cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 tsp worchestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken beef or vegetable stock
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Bring to a large pot of water to a simmer. Add your sweet potatoes. Cook until tender, about 15-17 minutes.
- Drain water and return to pot. Mash with 2 tablespoons oil or butter. Season with salt & pepper.
- Place beef in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook stirring occasionally and breaking up large pieces with a spoon, until browned. Transfer to a plate using a slotted spoon; pour off excess fat in skillet.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil, cook onions in skillet. Add mushrooms, and cook for about 5-7 minutes. Whisk together cornstarch, mustard, worchestershire sauce and broth in a bowl. Add to skillet and bring to a boil.
- Return beef to skillet; season with salt and pepper. Top with mashed potatoes. Can use a fork or an icing piping bag for a design of the potatoes. Bake until bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes. Eat and Enjoy!