Hi, I'm Rachelle
The Vivacious Gourmet
I cook delicious healthy recipes that are simple to make, with wholesome fresh ingredients.
follow me on social
That’s a spicy meatball! I just love to add a little spicy kick to this recipe. These meatballs are so delicious, vegetarian and did I mention these are gluten free! These are a much lighter alternative to the usually meat options that are out there, and I love how amazing they taste. Eggplant is a hearty vegetable and you don’t even miss the “meat” part. I learned to make these yummy bad boys on my trip in Calabria, Italy. My girlfriend set up a yoga retreat and I got to learn to cook from a Senora in her home overlooking the Tyrrhenian Sea. I have to tell you it was the BEST cooking class I have ever attended.
- 1 large eggplant chopped
- 2 cups breadcrumbs Gluten free
- 2 eggs
- 4 Tbsp parmesan cheese or dry aged ricotta cheese
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 5-6 tomatoes roasted
- 2-3 garlic cloves roasted
- Boil water in a large pot with pinch of salt.
- Place chopped eggplant in boiling water for 20 mins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place tomatoes and garlic cloves on parchment paper lined baking sheet and roast for 30 mins.
- Remove eggplant from heat and strain over colander. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Place in large bowl and mash with fork or potato masher.
- Add in eggs and breadcrumbs. Mix well.
- Add and mix in Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, dried ricotta, oregano and red pepper flakes.
- Roll into small golf sized balls.
- In a large pan heat up sunflower oil over medium heat.
- Place balls in pan and cook until all sides are browned. Add in roasted tomatoes and garlic and place in pan. Remove from heat. Optional to add warm yogurt on top and sprinkle with parsley.
- Best served fresh!