Hi, I'm Rachelle
The Vivacious Gourmet
I cook delicious healthy recipes that are simple to make, with wholesome fresh ingredients.
follow me on social
This is the best soup you will ever eat. It honestly has to be one of my most favourite soups growing up as a kid.
I think this is why I love broccoli so much. My mom would always add just a touch of Parmesan or cheddar cheese on it, and boy was it GOOD. I would eat the whole thing! I left the broccoli in bigger chunks for this recipe, as it makes it more chunky and fulfilling. I also love using old sharp cheddar cheese. It makes it creamy, rich and absolutely delicious. You will never want to eat another soup than this one, I promise!
Best Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbso small onions chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 celery small diced
- 2 carrots julienned
- 3 tbsp gluten free flour
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 medium head of broccoli cut into florets
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 2 cups milk or plant based milk of choice
- 1 1/2 cups old sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 tbsp cooked bacon bits
- 2 tsp chives diced small
- In a large pot, oven medium heat add (half the butter)1 tbsp butter, onions, garlic and sauté until translucent.
- Add celery, carrots, 1 tbsp butter, flour, whisk together until cooked. About 2-3 mins or until light golden colour.
- Whisk in vegetable stock until flour is incorporated and not lumpy.
- Add in broccoli and oat milk and all remaining seasoning- paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, s&p
- Bring to a simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in cheddar cheese until melted. Serve in bowls, add remaining cheese, bacon bits, chives. Serve with crusty bread and enjoy!